Monday, September 19, 2011

White Privelage: Unpacking the invisible knapsack...Peggy McIntosh

When McIntosh first starts to talk about women and how they do not have the same rights as men, I agreed. I do think women still get treated differently then men. I think our society today still has the mentallity of "men dominant women" and "men should be the ones who work all day and women take care of the house and children". I think this is one of the biggest problems with our socitey. I breifly touched upon this in my first reflection paper, but now that I hear it again, it gets me fried up. I know women can do exatctly what men can do. I bet if you put a woman in some serious jobs like a President or executive of a company, they can perform better than some men. I also think women have a lot tougher life than men. Just because men have a physical advantage over women, does not mean they have the right to boss them around, or disrespect women. All woman should have the same rights as men and should be treated equally. They work just as hard, but do not nearly get the respect they deserve.
McIntosh also talks about "power" she has, but I do not know how to really react to it. At first I was mad but then I kind of saw where he was coming from. This article was pretty confusing and jumped around from one topic to another. It made me confused and not pay attention to the article.

3 comments:

  1. I can appreciate the fact that you think women shouldn't be disrespected. My Poli-Sci teacher (a man, might I add) had the nerve to say that women weren't a minority. His reasoning was that there's more women on the Earth, but just because there's more women doesn't mean we aren't a minority! As you stated, women are still looked down upon in today's society. I'm glad that it's not just women who see our lack of power! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you are being honest and don't care what others think. Most guys I can think of would disagree with you about women having less privilege and men and I appreciate that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good start, but you only mention the info in the first page... the article is not about male privilege, but WHITE privilege. What do you make of that?

    ReplyDelete